Sunday, January 26, 2014

Two bad bricks - Opening the door of your heart

These days I'm reading a Buddhist tales book named "Opening the door of your heart" by the famous Buddhist monks named Ajahn Brahm. 
I would like to recommend this book to anyone because this book teach us lots of life lessons and how to let go of things.
Following story is my favorite story that I extracted from the particular book book

"After we purchased the land for our monastery in 1983 we were broke.  We were in debt. There were no buildings on the land, no even a shed. Those first few weeks we slept on old doors. (There were no mattresses) 

We were poor monks who needed buildings. We couldn't afford to employ a builder-the materials are expensive enough. SO we had to learn how to build: how to prepare the foundations, lay concrete and  bricks, erect the roof, put in the plumbing ... etc.

When I began laying bricks, I'd tap one corner down to make it level and another would go up. So I'd tap that corner down then the brick would move out of line. After I'd nudged it back into line, the first corner would be too high again.

Being a monk, I had patience and as much time as I needed. I made sure every single brick was perfect, no matter how long it took. Eventually, I completed my first brick wall and stood back to admire it. It was only then I noticed - I'd missed two bricks. All the other bricks were nicely in line, but these two were inclined at an angle. They looked terrible. They spoiled the whole wall. They ruined it. 

By then, the cement motor was too hard for the bricks to be taken out, so I asked the abbot if I could  knock the wall down and start over again. I'd made a mess of it and I was very embarrassed. The abbot said no, the wall had to stay.

When I showed our first visitors around our fledgling monastery, I always tried to avoid taking them past my brick wall. I hated anyone seeing it. Then one day, some three or four months after I finished it, I was walking with a visitor and he saw the wall.
"That's a nice wall" he casually remarked.
"Sir" I replied in surprise, "have you left your glasses in your car? Can't you see those two bad bricks which spoil the whole wall?"

What he said next changed my whole view of that wall, of myself, and of many other aspects of life. He said, "Yes, I can see those two bad bricks. But I can also see the 998 good bricks as well."

Moral of the story:
We've all got our two bad bricks, but the perfect bricks in each one of us are much, much more than the mistakes. Once we see this, things aren't so bad."

Extract from: Opening the door of your heart by Ajahn Brahm thero

 
             

No comments:

Post a Comment